Monday, July 11, 2011

I've decided to not do laundry and just buy underwear.

It's true.
Regardless... I went for a great ride this morning. We have this horse at the barn who's name is Jack and well.. I didn't love him at first. He's old and he acts old BUT he has great muscle. He's an old ranch horse :)
He's pretty. Not scared of much and has a great western trot :) Good canter to much he's just nice and slow. Gives you time to look at the scenery. Hannah I write most of this for you :) Either way, took him on a nice long trail ride the other day and decided I needed to take him out for myself today and just ride him. So I saddled him up and took him out to the track. First thing I learned... I needed to take the saddle off :) I hate riding with saddles but the executive director was at the barn and I wasn't sure how she would feel about me working a horse without a saddle. Not everyone at this barn rides the way I do... which is fine. They ride English I ride with no saddle. So... I took the saddle off. Now everything feels right. He goes into a beautiful trot then into a beautiful canter and we just ride and sweat and work for a good 10 or 15 minutes. Not to long. This old man hasn't been worked like this in while and well... neither have I. So we walk around the track for awhile (this barn used to breed and train throughbred races horses so this is a nice mile long track)... go back grab the saddle and head back to the barn. We were both dripping sweat. I'm sure he's never been happier to see the barn. The poor boy is such a ranch horse. He did not like being out the riding by himself even though he listened really well and did not eat while we were working I could just tell that he was like "I'M RETIRED AND IT'S HOT. FREAKIN' TAKE ME BACK" So, I'm going to continue taking him out and riding him and just getting him used to his new life here. He hasn't been worked much since he left the ranch so I think he's also got kind of lazy. He's just the most perfect old, want to go on a nice trail ride with a sound horse, horse :) He's sweet but not to attached or needy. He's a good "project" horse that doesn't really need to learn anything he just needs to be worked... and stretched. The old man has arthritis.
Well... that's all. Have a good hot day.

1 comment:

  1. Come out to the black hills of Dakota and ride with me...

    ReplyDelete