Monday, September 19, 2011

Self Care.

Let us talk about this notion.
Self Care.
Last week I met with a friend to talk about some things and as I was leaving she kept saying to me "self care, self care, self care."
I thought it was simple enough. I take care of myself everyday.
Almost a week later and I'm realizing I do not take care of myself everyday. Self care is actually more than waking up 10 minutes late, brushing your teeth, awkwardly smiling at yourself in the mirror trying to reassure yourself that you do actually look good, running to the barn to do chores knowing I won't eat until around 2ish and won't leave the barn until around 10pm. That's how I take care of myself... basically by running myself into the ground.
Honestly I don't see it as running myself into the ground at the time. I love (understatement) my job and do not mind working 14 hour days. I don't always work that long but this last week the lady that normally does morning chores was sick so I took on her hours.
Either way, I was thinking this morning a lot about the importance of taking care of yourself because well... in order to not let other down even if you are attempting to not let others down by not putting yourself first, you will eventually get to a point where you just can't do it anymore. So... I definitely have not reached the "I can't do it" point but I have reached the "Is God in this anymore" point.
That's the biggest uh-oh of not taking care of yourself. Or of me not taking care of myself. God and everything gets thrown out the window.
So... how do we change this?
Seems like it could be simple but I think it will be a hit or miss kind of thing.
I've never been the kind of girl to wake up early to put on makeup and actually make myself look good for the day and I think I'm going to start there.
Seems silly, I know but I've actually always wanted to be that girl that wakes up and cares about what she looks like because well.. the first thing you've done with your day is take of yourself... I think...
I'll let your know how this goes.
If you have any self care ideas let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment